Apr 29, 2005

Random Act of Kindness

This doesn't happen every day.

I purchased 4 items on the way back to the Guru's house at the grocery store this afternoon: a bag of veggies, a container of pineapple, wheat thins and a pack of gum. I paid and headed for the door when i heard urgently raised voices from behind me - "MISS! MISS!" I did a mental scan: did i forget my purse? No. My bankcard? No. My food? No. Well then, surely they're not talking to me. "MISS! MISS!" I slowed and turned my head. The cashier and her customers were staring at me. What the?

"
YOU FORGOT YOUR GUM!"

I almost laughed. Silly people. It's just gum! Relax! It's okay! I'll live! "That's okay," i said, "no big deal." and tried to walk away - but they were so concerned about the welfare of my missing item - they wouldn't let it go! The customer spoke inaudibly to the cashier and then motioned to the gum. She paid for it! The complete and total stranger paid 99 cents for my gum! A total stranger!! For me!! And gave it to me.

Can you believe that?

Can you believe that?!

Isn't that the nicest person ever?

Isn't that cool?!

Astonished, i pulled a dollar out of my pocket and tried to give it to her. She protested profusely. She didn't want it but i insisted. What a humbling moment. There are still nice people. There are people who are good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That new pic is just too cool...

IB said...

hehe... thx!! Happy Belated Anniversary (btw)

Ebriel said...

Hey Indigo, that pic looks like some of the Hindu friezes in Cambodia, though this one is more frankly sensual. It's from the Indian Subcontinent, right?

IB said...

East India, yes.