Apr 13, 2005

Alright Boys and Girls!

Story time! Gather round children!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


After i ::cough cough:: "grew up," my Mom decided to go back to work as an elementary school teacher. I've had a hard time picturing this. How does she manage? Do the rugrats run all over her? After more than a decade i finally got to visit her today, and she's good! Really good!! She even has a student teacher and i found out was voted "Teacher of the Year." Wow! My Mom! No way! How cool is that?!

It looks like it takes so much energy. And organization. And practice. There were a thousand little on-going projects around the room and cute little routines and structures. I don't know how she does it. My Dad says she wants me to be a teacher, but i dunno about that. Seems pretty hard for not much money. Although having them at 1st grade (like she does) does seem like a tremendous opportunity to instill some valuable building blocks for life.

....Mom took me around and introduced me to her teacher friends and office staff. It was a bit freaky that they seemed to already know me: my name, where i lived, that i had lived in Hawaii etc.... I guess my Mom talks about me alot. The secretary exclaimed excitedly, "OH YOUR DAUGHTER!!!! SHE REALLY IS REAL!!!!" Geez louise. That made me feel stupid - like such a bad daughter. It was so weird the way she BEAMED when she took me around. I don't know. Does she feel abondoned by me? Does she miss me and feel sad? I'm sorry Mom. I didn't mean to....But i was so angry for so long. So squashed in the presence of my hollering father. So small.

... Ironic how yesterday when he and i discussed my future job prospects over lunch and he said that i DO have skills, but "your problem has always has been your self-image." Well NO SHIT, i thought to myself, i wonder why that is? It was a strange moment. What could i say to him? So, i said nothing and looked deep into my slice of canadian bacon pizza while i uncomfortably smiled.

....Mom's class started a unit today. The kids are supposed to draw themselves ("Flat Lisa" "Flat Aaron") and then send their "flat" selves to someone far away who'll take photos with the little minature me's in various places throughout their day. Then the host person is supposed to send it back to the 1st grader. hmmmmm... Could there be a blog idea here?..... Anyway, Mom asked me to make a sample to show to the class.
This is "Flat Mommy" before .....
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Ccan you find "Flat Mommy" after???!...
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


...More shots of Mom's Class here.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

How incredibly cute! :) If they want to send some to me, that's fine! :)

IB said...

That would be awesome!! They'd love that!

Hannah said...

what's your email? I'll send you my address via that. :) Just have to get a digital camera first, though.