Feb 3, 2005

My Embarrassing List

Careers that have appealed to me throughout my life but remain hopelessly unexplored due to my inability to decide or prioritize

Public Interest Law
Photography (portrait, photojournalism)
Visual Art (drawing/painting, graphic art, webdesign)
Music (composition, keyboard, guitar, drums)
Dan ce (In dia n dance performer, modern/hybrid choreography)
In dia n Da nce Teaching/Research
Theater (acting, backstage, directing)
Screenwriting (stage/film)
Pysch/Counseling (private practice, creative arts therapy: drama/music/art)
Teaching (at-risk highschoolers primarily considered)
Teaching art/drama to at-risk kids
Teaching in prisons
Juvenile Justice Reform Advocate - Justice worker - political activist
Sociology (but um, is there a job in this field ?)
Teaching here... the most kickass college in the country
Writing/producing/directing films (documentaries appeal to me)
Something involving travel (travel writing, travel photography, um, would be open to other things that i don't yet know exist)
Motivational speaking (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH- THE IRONY DOES NOT ESCAPE ME)
Unitarian Universalist Ministry (i'm not religious)
Screen acting
Auto-mechanics (well, not so much as a career, but a hobby)
Da nc e Ethnography

Extra Clueless list
Careers that would be considered even more fleeting than the former bewildered considerations

Journalism ????
Massage Therapy ??
Writing ???? Er, something???




The moral of the story, er, post?

Please Help. I need it bad.



PS: Just fyi: i've remained deliberately vague re: the I n di a n D n ce although many times now and in the past i've wanted to write more about it since its very important to me. However, because i feel a need to remain anonymous and unfound by both my teacher/g ur u and fellow d n c rs, i abstain for fear that greater specificity may lead to an unfortunate mishap whereby this site pops up in a search engine or somethin as equally horrific.... Know what i mean, my jellybeans?

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Hey!

If you're having trouble prioritizing: this is what I do when I can't seem to make a decision. What you do, is put numbers with stuff, a sort of weight, if you will. For example:

Public interest law (6/10)
Photography (7)
Music (5)
etc...

And if that doesn't help... take each thing you want to do and make a list of WHY you want to do it. Then give each reason a weight and add them up - the thing you want to do with the highest score/weight wins.

I know it sounds way too logical, but it can work if you're trying to choose a path and just can't quite make it.

The Humanity Critic said...

I feel you. There is a laundry list of career options that have gone unexplored in my life as well. Great post, awesome blog..