Feb 11, 2005

Mass Hypnosis

Ok, I have to say it;

Its a major pain in the booty trying to write with the tv on.

There. I said it.

It sweeps me up into it's pixelated clutches and holds me captively spaced out on its pseudo carpet ride. It inteferes with my train of....
What was i saying?
Not that i don't enjoy it. It tells interesting stories. Brings imaginary friends into our lives. They talk to us and keep us company.
It passes time.
But there's a reason i went cold turkey a decade ago and decided to abstain. I was addicted as child. My family life revolved around it. Like most modern day Americans, it was the hearth of the home; we sat every night beside each other, wide-eyed and vacant. No one dared speak to disrupt the order. No one dared leave. Night after night, year after year we sat captive on our cushions; gaping mouths closed only for commercial-break food retrieval or mad-dashes for biology relief.
It provided my worldview. A life outside our dormant, unsatisfed walls. But once i left for college, no longer wanting to be controlled by any one electronic entity, it made sense to me to disconnect for a bit while attempting to assemble an alternative paradigm minus super models and diet pill ads. Also, i figured, without tv as a crutch, i'd be forced to find other activites to insert its place. I managed almost a decade of this respite. Did it work? Yes and no. But i can't elaborate now. Law and order is coming on and i can't miss the intro.

Shhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Talk to me during commercials!!!!!

1 comment:

The Humanity Critic said...

TV definitely messes with me also..lol Great post.