Mar 17, 2006

Email to Old Buddy From Highschool

Haven't really re-launched the job search yet ~ dragging my feet I suppose. I find it discouraging to spend such great efforts seeking something I actually don't even want (being some self-important a-hole's peon - invaluable though invisible - if not overlooked then snubbed.) But forced to do it because what else am I qualified for? On the other hand, I've seen ads for Exec Assistants in Manhatten that pay up to 90,000 bucks a year. Jeez - that's more than allot of respectable careers. Anyway, I sucked it up and accepted the conciliatory temp position at the college as an "Assistant Director of Registration/Bursar" after they posted (and gave away) the job they had (informally) given me months ago. The school recently hired a new HR director and I think he intervened after he realized that they (The President) had not formally opened the position up to the public. Thus they began interviewing and booted me out - despite my having worked my butt off for him for months. It was such a shock since I've already been listed in their campus directory with the title, been given a staff ID, etc - I suppose its for the best though - I'm less likely now to become complacent and stay somewhere I clearly should not be. (Though intelligent and sometimes thoughtful, the blustery, impatient President has regular tantrums and is known to make even VP's cry.) (Did I already tell you of this? I can't remember - sorry if I did.) I would at least appreciated some sort of acknowledgment that they fucked up, let alone an apology. Effers.

Anyway, your assessment of easterners is funny. It definitely hits home. This is my third attempt at working since moving to NY and each experience has been as equally dismaying. The first one lasted a couple months. The guy I worked for owned a construction business and it was mainly just he and I in the office. I liked the independence/freedom since I was often alone, but dreaded his reappearance because he'd curse like a madman and belittle me (without reason - not that it matters.) When he began throwing things (his stapler, the phone) and smashing them against the walls, I left a note, my keys, some other applicants' resumes for his future reference and hightailed it home. I didn't hear from him again.

The next job was down the street from where I live working for an eye doctor. I was stoked because I thought it would be so inspiring to work for a woman. My fantasies of empowerment quickly withered the first day when I noticed tension in the office so thick it was palpable. Saving you the gory details, she was crazynuts. Nasty, condescending - a wicked micro-manager. I saw her humiliate her staff (AND patients) so many times that it blew my mind - and every week I told myself I could avoid any deleterious long-term impact and ought to stick it out for the paycheck - but - I could see that overtime, my already tenuous, flagellated self-esteem would inevitably erode into dust like all the other mites trapped there.

So - ?! Is this a NY thing - or what?! Sure does lead one to rethink Seattle a bit - rain and all.

Yes, I guess WOW is considered a role-playing game. There are stories/plots/missions- different classes/races, professions. It can be really quite complicated actually. The detail of the programming leaves me continually awed. The gorgeous graphics alone are incredible. It really is like being immersed into another world. So, when are you going to start playing? I told The Cutie that I could see you getting into it and that I think you'd be a great recruit. He was psyched. (He's always looking for steady (smart) teammates that he can rely on.) =)

I'm mainly playing an Undead Warlock. It's nifty, I cast spells, can summon people and have little demon pets that follow me around.... (I am, in fact, aware of just exactly how retarded I sound.) But you asked! hahahahaha

Besides that? For fun? Not too much. There are so many restrictions on my (our) lives mainly because of The Cutie's health problems. So, just trying to make do with what we have. Hopefully he'll feel better some time soon in the future. Oh, I did start dropping by an O class in the city. Haven't gone for a few weeks - but I was pretty enthused for the chance to continue dancing... I spent about a month in xx a year ago with xx but haven't danced since.... Oh and blogging I guess. I do try to blog whenever possible.

And how about you?

What do you do for fun?

How's Seattle life?

How's your family?

No comments: