Mar 15, 2006

Do I take the temporary job?

Some Pros and Cons:

-
I'm angry & humiliated: I was introduced as his new "Executive Assistant" for the last few months: then suddenly I show up in another department?! AND have to APPLY for the new position?!

+ I need a job

+ It will pay the same amount (which is a rate I'm happy with)

- But only in the "TRANSITIONAL" period anyway - so what the fuck is that?

- I'd feel like I was giving in. Losing face. My dignity.

+ Who cares - its just a friggin job. Do I really think anyone really notices where me - let alone cares?

+Besides, its irrelevant what "people" think and realistically should have no bearing on this decision

- This position holds zero appeal to me. Independently I would have NEVER applied for it as it sounds dull, tedious, boring and stressful. Also, the department is an absolute disaster: understaffed and poorly run. I'd be dealing with livid students/parents/alum on a daily basis who have good reasons to be frustrated.

- Why go to all of the stress and frustration of learning a whole new job that a) I don't want and b) I may ultimately still not get?!?!?!

+I can accept it while looking for something else

-Send a message that you can't treat people like this by rejecting the new quasi "offer." If you accept the position, you assuage their sense of guilt (if any) and placate their rationalizing that they "did their part"

+Do they really give a shit either way? Very likely not.

- Could I sue them for real? Would accepting this "offer" lessen the credibility of such a case?

+ I doubt I could win such a thing and most especially lack the resources.


Help! What would you do? I need your suggestions.

3 comments:

SeaKitty said...

talk the job. pride isn't what you should make the decision on. you need money for now. meanwhile...keep your job search going. as hellish as it is. keep seeking. you will eventually fall into something that is totally you. in the meantime, keep working your tail off so you can eat.

what did you WANT to do again?

SeaKitty said...

oops. "take" the job.

IB said...

ok.



=0)