Mar 22, 2005

"So full of grace"

Eyes wide, munching on my very own special bag of crunchy buttered popcorn, sucking on my very own special over-priced diet coke: I love sitting alone in darkened theaters, anonymous and still. Lost in the flickering before me. Surrendered. I get to dissapear.

Yesterday i saw a phenomenal movie. Phenomenal, but agonizing. And when i left i felt great pain that lingered on. I appreciate being sensitive and easily moved, but despise my aggravating proclivity towards sadness. This is why i used to protect myself from sad movies and the news. But to have guarded myself from this movie would have been a real loss.

I was surprised to find that the movie wasn't really about boxing at all. Actually, it was about love, loss, and broken people mending fragile dreams. Boy, could i relate! I bawled and bawled and afterwards spent a good 10 minutes in a bathroom stall pulling myself together before daring to sneak out of the theater and calling a cab.

No comments: