Oct 31, 2005

Pre-work Morning Blues

Ironing scrubs, brushing my teeth with lemon flavored toothpasted, and trying to withhold my displeasure with life. I feel like I did in elementary school when I hoped and hoped and hoped to be saved by a snowstorm that would cancel school. Do I really have to go in? Nooooooooo! Somebody save me! This morning I dreamt a horse accidently ran over me when I was sleeping and slashed my wrist with a clean, deep cut. I spent the rest of the dream cradling my wound, and trying to convince people that the dripping liquid pus and hanging forearm skin indicated that I needed help. I wasn't in pain, but I knew if I didn't at least get stitches to attach the large hanging flaps of skin loosely overlapped over each other - connecting my hand to my arm - the internal structure would likely become infected. Instead they changed the subject. "It's just a scratch."

4 comments:

JM said...

I hate those dreams that happen just before you wake up when you are partially conscious, yet powerless to stop the dream. I won't even attempt to interpret the dream, since that's sorta like peeling the layers of an onion. Both go deeper than you sometimes want, and both usually make you cry. Sunday night is usually the worst for me as well, since nobody wants to go back to school after the weekend. Hang in there with the new job, which seems like a real source of stress. You said that you were considering working out, and from experience I can tell you that as tough as it can be to get your butt in gear and out the door, the results in terms of managing stress and giving you back your energy level can be tremendous.

IB said...

Hi John,

Thanks so much for your thoughts. It's interesting that you point out Sunday as a bad night - I do seem to get worse and worse over the weekend. I guess I wasn't giving it much credence because it was "in my head" and therefore not real. But now that you mention it, it helps me take it more seriously - maybe it IS real afterall! Yes! I think my anxiety/distress does increase as the weekend progresses and I'm going to pay more attention to this! Thanks!

Are you in school, did you say?

Also, good point about the exercise. I know what you're saying is true. Thank you for the kind and helpful reminder.

JM said...

No, I'm not in school unless the school of life counts. The wife and I jokingly refer to any non-weekend night as a "school night" since in means early to bed/early to rise. Seems like you have a pretty good perspective on things, hang in there!

IB said...

Ahhh.. Got it! =)