Aug 23, 2005

Quietly Desparate

I got creative and tracked down my friend through a google search of her job this afternoon. I simply dialed and in an instant there she was! She sounded funny. "What's wrong?" I asked. She apologized for not calling but said she's been going through alot. I swallowed hard. With a long history of depression, her life hasn't been easy, and I'm used to that, but this time something was different. There was more. My fear was realized when in the next breath she revealed that
her sister had killed herself. It was a shock to everyone that knew her. There was no note. There were no clues. There was no indication at all with the exception of her plastic smile and
perfectly spotless home. She simply cleaned her home from top to bottom, prepared a week's worth of food for her husband and two small children, brought a photo album to the garage, started her engine and sat for hours while the life slowly drained out of her - leaving her body to be discovered by her horrified family who'd just returned from a fun day at the park. (I wonder if a lifetime of therapy will ever heal the 4 and 6 year old sons?)

My friend believes she'd just had enough of life. I just don't understand it. It makes me mad. How can she do that to everyone! To my friend! She didn't even ask for help! Why didn't she ask for help! Why didn't she tell someone! Something! Anything! She had a large circle of friends - including 5 best friends that she saw every weekend. She had plans to do something with them the next day.

Didn't ANYONE notice something was wrong?

Her husband didn't know she was sad. He didn't know she'd recently seen a pyschologist. He didn't know she'd started anti-depressants. He didn't know that she'd begun a beading hobby or
where she kept her books.

Apparently, he didn't know her at all.

I guess no one did. It seems my friend was the only person in the world whom she'd trusted to share that despite appearance, she didn't in fact have a "perfect life." All of her friends wanted to be just like her. Fancy things, rich husband, big house and children. But apparently it was all a lie. An illusion. She was living in a bubble. What people saw - verses what really was. Inside- the darkness, the sadness, the loneliness and alienation of being trapped inside the illusion of her own making - an inability to reach out and puncture her own self-constructed myth.

My god. What a tragedy. There were hundreds of people at her funeral. Hundreds. All of those people, and not one of them had a clue. My friend blames herself. What can I do to ease that sort of burden?

Unreal.

Crazy.

She can't believe she's gone. How can she really be gone? Like, forever?

It's a reminder to me to read between the lines. Listen to what's not being said as much as what is being said. And just because someone isn't demonstratively "in crisis" or calling great attention to their needs, it doesn't necesarily mean that they don't have them - that they don't need help - care - that they aren't in pain so great that it seems the only relief will come from the termination of life itself.

Be attentive to the people you love. Andeven to the people you might barely know. Maybe especially them. You never know who might need you. I know there have been times in my life where I have been so isolated and sad that a simple word of concern from a stranger would have been a godsend.

6 comments:

SeaKitty said...

:(

kristinb said...

That is a great post. I've battled mental illness since the age of 15 and have had my moments. Mental illness or depression or whatever the problem may be doesn't let you choose it, it chooses you, no matter who you are, even if you are the prettiest with the husband and the fancy things and the 2.5 children. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you have a good day. Thanks for sharing. If you get a moment, feel free to visit my new site. I just started at www.ichdenkedas.blogspot.com. I'll be back to see what else you post. Thanks again.

Becky Paige said...

My friend's dad killed myself when she was 19 and her sisters were 12 and 17.
Commiting suicide is like detonating a nuclear bomb in your immediate surroundings. Over ten years later everyone is still rebuilding.

I'll admit that I've fantasized about it and planned it out. People are also very aware that I am sick (I have bipolar I) and they keep tabs on me.
When things are really bad there is often an inability to show the monster inside. People don't want to see it and you go on acting like everything is normal. To show your inner pain you often have to go around the normal ruts of grooves of relationships and this is very difficult. Maybe this is what your friend's sister was going through. Depressed people often feel very trapped.

Obviously the depression is a genetic problem in the family, as it is in my family. I hope your friend is in counseling and taking meds.

Anonymous said...

Hey there, sorry to hear about your friends recent
loss. Unfortunately it's not all that uncommon. Every
18 minutes, someone in the U.S dies by suicide. More
than 20 million Americans suffer from depression...I'm
one of them. There aren't always outward signs. She
probably didn't tell anyone about her pain cause she
was ashamed. Ashamed to be diagnosed with a 'mental
illness'. Perhaps she wanted and tried to lead that
'perfect life' that she appeared to have...it gets
tiring, and she didn't know where to turn, she didn't
think anyone would understand.

Here are some bloggers that recently loss someone.
I've been following them since I heard that the young
woman 'went missing'. She actually duct taped her
hands together and jumped in Lake Michigan this past
March. I didn't know her. Like your friends sister she
showed no outward signs of depression, she hid them
very well.
Her mom; http://barbkfrommyheart.blogspot.com/
Her brother; http://gregboncimino.blogspot.com/
Her sister; http://biggerthanme.blogspot.com/
Her cousin; http://pixiethawts.blogspot.com/
Her best friend; http://edwardapplebee.blogspot.com/

Anyhow, this past summer I participated in a 20-mile
walk to end the silence surrounding suicide, it was
called The Overnight. A friend of mine committed
suicide close to 2 years ago. I'm still very upset by
this. He was my confidant. One of a few people who I
can openly talk about my depression with. I knew he
had been struggling too, but on the Wednesday night
before he took his life, he gave me a big hug and said
he was feeling good. He had a big smile on his face
and looked happy. I'm convinced he was happy, cause
he'd made up his mind, and had a plan. He overdosed on
Friday night.

I'm a complete stranger and just rambled on and on
about suicide...the thing is I just wanted you to know
it's not uncommon, it's unfortunate. There is lots of
help out there - and there is nothing to be ashamed of
about mental health issues.

Yvette
http://tbloo.blogspot.com

The Anti-Wife said...

I feel for you, Indigo. I don't know how you are feeling, but I have an idea. I know you've perused a bit on my blog, but I don't know how far back you've read. My husband has attempted suicide twice since we've been together, and I am sure he will actually complete the act some day. Those who go through with it are often so far gone, yet so good at pretending that life is perfect. It's not anyone's fault for not noticing her pain -- she was a master at hiding it. My husband says that when you are contemplating it, it becomes an obsession, and it's very hard to break away from that mode of thinking. It's a tempting draw. Those who do it, do not care about the aftermath of what they leave beind. They are so engrossed in their own pain and unaware to see anything beyond that. The sad part is the kids. When a parent commits suicide, it dramatically increases the chance of one of their children doing the same. But...those who chose that route do not care...they are unable to. I don't mean that in an accusatory tone; it is what it is.

At any rate, I am sorry you are feeling the aftermath of this woman's suicide. It's painful.

IB said...

I'm overwhelmed by all of the thoughtful responses!

Thankyou so much ProfessionalStudent, Tony, Becky, Yvette and Antiwife!

Hope to hear more from you in the future!