May 24, 2005

Job Search

I'm officially starting my job search. (Finally?) I've signed up at one temp service that seemed a little fishy and tomorrow i have an appointment at another one in the city! I use an exclamation point because "in the city" is still a big deal for me. Highly intimidating. Big. Confusing. Ok fine - scary. I said it. Plus, what the hell am i going to wear? I don't know if i mentioned before - when i moved from Hawaii to The Cutie's studio in New York, i came only with one carry-on suitcase. Everything else was discarded or given away. Save about a dozen boxes of my few prized posessions (books, DVD's, journals, artwork, camera, 4track) that are STILL in Hawaii. You see, i had, true to Indigo Form, packed my shit and scatatalled in a hurry, desparately longing to arrive in the arms of this new life and lover. That meant that even a couple hours before my flight, i was frantically packing and taping boxes like a madwoman, sweat pouring from my head. The plan was to load my car (that i hadn't yet gotten rid of) pick up Danny, (the ride barely secured from a friend of a friend), we'd swing by the postoffice and then continue to the airport where i'd then sign the car off to him and he'd continue on his way. He'd send me a check for a couple hundred dollars later. (Supposedly but i wouldn't hold my breath.) It didn't exactly work out like that. Now my stuff is decomposing and collecting mold in his garage (nearly a year????) later. I think about it every day.

What was i talking about again?

Um. I have to go back and read the last paragraph. One sec.

OH!

SO I HAVE NOTHING TO WEAR!

I think i had a couple boxes of clothes and shoes and stuff, but they're still in Hawaii. Although i hadn't been wearing my business suits and formal whatnot for a several years since i dumped my last office job, i held on to it nonetheless, (i think?) just in case. Gosh, honestly i can't even remember if that's true.

Did i keep that stuff? ACK! I don't know.

Anyway, it's irrevelevant.

What am i going to wear tomorrow?

I have an appointment at this fancy, upscale office in Manhatten and but i'm embarrassed because i don't think i'll fit in. I have no money (or desire to spend money) on stupid business clothes. Besides, if i keep losing weight, it will be a waste. I'm wearing the same clothes as i was wearing 50 pounds ago although maybe i look a little silly? I'm not sure. I did splurge and buy new jeans while at the Guru's. But much more than that, i would be very hesitant.

I hate to waste money. I hate to waste nice clothes. I hate to make an investment in a size that may change within a couple months!

So what about tomorrow?

And how am i going to get there?

What am i going to say?

Am i really qualified for any of their jobs?

Would there "HIGH-END" clients tolerate someone like me? Fat and funky. Am i responsible enough? Capable enough? Organized enough? Confidant enough? (HAHAHAHA)

I'm not fashion-conscious. At all. I have no desire to be. I'm far from skin and bones. Projecting a certain "image" almost disgusts me. I don't want to be a corporate cog. However, i wouldn't mind making good money. I wouldn't mind dressing up ONCE IN A WHILE. I guess mostly i don't want to be a slave to a machine. I want to be my own person and own my own life. I want room for creativity and growth and kindness. I want my life's work to be meaningful and worthwhile. I want to love and give to people. Not pad other people's bank accounts or be an errand-girl. So what if i can type real fast and follow orders.?! Big fucking deal. Shouldn't i be doing more than clerical bullshit? And if so, then what? And if so, how?
And if i'm this intimidated by the prospect of being an errand-girl cog - what realistic plan to i have to supercede that?

I have some thinking to do. Plotting.

But first thing's first. I go to the interview and i do the best i can. I don't concern myself with the outcome. That's not the point. The point is expanding myself and trying something that unnerves me a bit. It's not allowing other people's perceptions of me dictate how i feel about myself or who i am. It's knowing i am perfectly fine regardless of anything/anyone else. I am worthwhile. Kind. Loving. Good. I am success by the nature in which i live my life, not because of the "achievements" i collect and display upon my wall.

Right Omega?!

;-)

Right.

I'll be okay.

I'm not going to worry.

It's an adventure.

I'ts going to be fun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right ;)

Money is money.

And it's not like they're going to attack you with pitchforks if they don't like you. It won't physically hurt. And no one every died of embarrassment, as much as we'd like to sometimes.

JM said...

Sounds like someone is stressing just a wee bit....good luck tomorrow....you'll do fine I'm sure!

Hannah said...

You'll be fine. I'm going through something similar with my current job search - just don't accept something that's beneath you... maybe you'd do well as a personal secretary or something?

IB said...

Omega ~ I found myself thinking about your pitchfork comment on the subway trip down there. It reminded me of what i'd say to myself to feel safe in chaotic/scary situations as a child. ("He can scream and scream at me, but he can't control my mind. He can hit me, but he can't rob me of my free will.") It helped! It gave me a bottom line that left me feeling much more grounded. Thankyou!

JM ~ Yes, definately stressing. =) Which made it extra nice to hear your vote of confidance. Thanks! Glad you're still around. What a nice surprise to hear from you.

Hannah ~ Good advice. Something i sometimes forget but ought to keep in mind. Thanks.