May 14, 2005

To Spawn or Not to Spawn

I like Chai. Inspiration hit us and we bought some. Now i have the good fortune of drinking it every day. Morning and night. With soymilk and sweetner it's warm and sweet and richly flavored. Tea makes me feel so adult. The Cutie schooled me last night though. He looked at me in abject horror upon noticing i'd left my bag in the cup while i sipped. "Any tea drinker knows better," he said. It becomes bitter and changes the quality. Is that for real? I'm gonna look it up and find out just because i find it curious. How does he know these things? Why does he know like, everything? About everything?

ARG. In broad print the very first site here corroborates his story! Damm him!

::pout::

So, what is "tanin" anyway? I can't figure it out. What does it do? Why is it in tea? Or should i say, why don't you want it in tea? Did he learn about this in London? I always wonder how he knows the things he knows. Public television? Internet? Innate brilliance? I know, i know, it's the latter.

So our collective parents are giving the thumbs up on reproduction. We've agreed that they're out of their collective minds. Us? Spawning? Is that legal? Are we allowed to do that? I told him i still feel like i'm 12 years old. So what's this creepy talk about babies?! Ew! What the hell? Guess our folks are going through some sorta phase or something? Some emerging desire to acheive grandparenthood status? I dunno - it's over my head. All i know is it's weird! Afterall, weren't they the ones just scolding me for a messy car and eating with my coat on last month? And now i'm capable of birthing my own little ones?!! Get your story straight people. Which is it, am i an adult or aren't i?!

The Cutie and I discuss it in passing often. I guess you could call us ambivalent.

How do you know when it's the right time? How do you know if you'd regret it? How do you know you'd be a good parent? How do you know you're everything you're supposed to be to facilitate that? How do you know you wouldn't fuck up an innocent little one's life? Or your own for that matter?

RP and Autumn sure seem to enjoy it. Their stories and anecdotes are so endearing. So sweet. It's hard to not find their experiences enticing.

But then, the responsibility.

The commitment.

I mean, that's 20 years of your life!
Down the drain?

Goodness, that's alot to think about.

But no rush.

Or is it? How many years do i have left to figure it out? Maybe not as many as i'd like. Maybe not enough for me to ever feel confidant about the decision. Secure. So what then? Go for it? Not make a decision until it's made for me by the hands of time?

Mr. A said once that i'd be a wonderful parent. "Magical," he said.

I couldn't believe it.

I wondered why.

I don't know, but it sure touched me to hear that he believed it. I'd never heard anything like that before. It meant alot.

The Cutie is showering. What are we going to do today? It is Saturday which is not unlike any other day around here. Somehow it seems we should have some fun. A movie? Will he go?

Monday i need to find work. My plan is to sign up with a temp service and keep it simple. What will i wear? How will i get there? I'm so unprepared for work. It's been so long. I'm so nervous.

But i need to do it.

I won't feel right until i do.

1 comment:

Ebriel said...

Yes, wait, wait!
You don't seem like the type who'll let fantasies get in the way of the cold shower that being a mom will be.

Tannins are also in red wine, and other things, too (can't remember what).
With most green teas (particularly the cheap chinese version, most of what you'll find in the States), you've got to be even more careful for some reason - goes badly bitter quickly.