Dec 11, 2005

Yesterday The Cutie told me officially that he never wants to get married. Although he says it's simply a matter of his disinterest in the institution, I still found it difficult to hear it as something other than a statement of personal rejection. Am I not good enough for him? Not compelling enough? Don't get me wrong, I've known all along that we both have our fears and apprehension, but the finality of his announcement still came as a sobering surprise. Especially since I've been on high alert for a secret surprise engagement ring since we met. Afterall, the day before I moved to New York we even browsed the internet together shopping for rings! Bottom line is, unless he magically changes his mind, I will likely never be a bride or have children. A weighty, solemn realization that made me cry.

6 comments:

Matt said...

He may come around at some point. Men are slow to these things, and I speak from experience.

SeaKitty said...

o indigo!

Bliss said...

Well, *that* sucks.

And a ky-bosh on kids, too?

kristinb said...

If you want kids and he doesn't can you live with not having kids? And without a marriage? Do you need the committment (sp?) of a marriage? What if he never comes around? If you could choose between having it all...a loving relationship with all the good stuff...if you could choose between one where you get marriage and kids and one where you don't get marriage and kids, which one would you want? Honestly? Just curious.

Hannah said...

:hugs:

If you want to be with him, be with him. You're not with him for the sole purpose of marriage and children but to enjoy each other.

I can definitely understand that it seems as a rejection - my ex did that as well. And it hurt, it hurt like hell. But I figured it would probably work to wait and have patience and let him come around. And he was sort of coming around when we broke up.

I'd say just give it some time. If that doesn't help, maybe you should explain it why it's important to you.

The Humanity Critic said...

Happy Holidays!!