Oct 31, 2004

Mystified

Will wonders ever cease? My parents called. My Dad with his (now) characteristic enthusiasm gushed, "We've bought a Christmas present for David!!!" And wanted to be sure before our imminent Xmas visit, D didn't duplicate the purchase for himself. Ever since we flew back there for my cousin's wedding last month and the 3 met, my parents seem to have become inexplicably, utterly enamored. Maybe not such a puzzlement had you not been privied to the history of my relationship with my parents and our rocky, emotional estrangement. But, bearing that relative disaffection in mind, the pure bazarr0-ness of this becomes painfully clear. It makes no sense! Why are they not angy, shaming, and suspicious?! For god's sake, they know we live together! And yet they (dare i say "proudly?!!!) introduced him to my extended family at the wedding the day after they became acquainted - including the fundamentalist Christians! My Dad repeatedly and furiously pumped Dave's hand up and down, looked deeply in his eyes and with tremendous earnestness mooed, "We are so glad to meet you Dave." And added how much they appreciated "You bringing Indigo here to see us. "

We were giddy. Though taken aback and highly confused. Suspicious even.
When we returned to our lovely hotel, we were left with one prevailing question, "Who are these people and and what have they done with my parents?" The fun call today confirmed it; this affliction appears to be lasting?!

No comments: